Breakfast is possibly our favourite meal of the day. We enjoy starting our day with a filling and delicious breakfast that gives us plenty of energy.
After having experimented with breakfasts that take a bit longer to prepare in the morning, we were desperate to find a quick breakfast option that was still healthy and will leave us feeling satisfied. We were on a hunt for a cold breakfast for these warm days, but we did not want to buy commercially produced cereals that are often full of added sugar, and more natural and healthy granolas are often very expensive.
If you’re looking into new healthy breakfast ideas, I definitively recommend making your own granola. We made our first granola a couple of weeks ago, and we loved it.
This granola is perfect for a quick breakfast or a snack, and it takes approximately 30 minutes to make. You can also make a big batch to last you the entire week.
It’s coconutty, almondy, chocolatey… almost feels like having dessert for breakfast. And who doesn’t want that? Am I right?
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 15-20 portions (quarter cup)
- 2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup raw almonds (I used sliced almonds, but you can use whole)
- 3 tbsp. sugar (you can use any, but I recommend coconut or cane)
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or canola or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup almond butter (add a little salt if not salted, sub any other nut butter)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or agave
- 1/3 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Combine the oats, coconut flakes, sugar, salt, and almonds together in a large bowl.
- In a small pan or pot over medium-low heat, warm the coconut oil, almond butter, and maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener), and pour over the dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a baking tray, as evenly as possible. Try to make sure it’s spread out and bake for 20-25 minutes. Stir a bit halfway through. Be sure to watch it carefully as it can burn easily.
- Once the granola is visibly browned, remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Once cooled, add chopped dark chocolate and toss. You can also add the chocolate to the granola while it’s still warm if you want it to melt.
- Store in a container that has an air-tight seal and it should last you for 2-3 weeks.
8. You can serve it with any non-dairy milk of choice. I love the lightness of coconut milk, and I love how it compliments the granola. We also added some chopped strawberries and bananas for extra yumminess and freshness.